Preparation of the Sir Seretse Khama International Airport (SSKIA) land use master plan, Gaborone, Botswana
02 · 2014
Since the opening of the Sir Seretse Khama International Airport (SSKIA) 10 km outside of the capital Gaborone, flight and air traffic has increased steadily. The 15 or 20 years old land-side and airside masterplans should be tested for their validity and further development possibilities.
To be able to continue to expand the SSKIA airport as needed and in line with future requirements in terms of ecology, economy and sustainability, the land use masterplan will be updated with a presentation of the defined development areas, for a period of up to 2035. In addition to the contribution from the aviation sector, the growing and more and more important business of the non-aviation sector will serve as an economic pillar in the future.
The updated masterplan will help, in particular that the Sir Seretse Khama International Airport can develop into a vibrant commercial center, through controlled expulsion of high-quality areas for different uses and for the local and global industry. K+P and its team with offices in Botswana, South Africa and Germany have started to undertake the study in January 2012. After a break for reviews the masterplan has been finalized in 2014.
Project facts and figures:
- Location: Sir Seretse Khama International Airport, Gaborone, Botswana
- Client:CAAB-Civil Aviation Authority of Botswana
- Services: Masterplan review and update
- Plot size:approx. 570 ha landside, approx. 1,000 ha airside
- Planning duration: 2012-2014, with a break of one year
K+P planning team:
- K+P Architekten und Stadtplaner GmbH
in cooperation with
- Bergstan Africa, Gaborone Head Office, Botswana (Local Representative)
and a team of experts consisting of:
- Dennis Moss Partnership, South Africa (Urban and Regional Planner, Sustainable Development)
- Act aerodrome consulting team, Germany (aerodromes engineers)
- Scales associates SCA, Botswana (Electrical Engineers)
- E.I.A Projects LTD, Botswana (Environmentalist/Archeologist)
- Knight Frank Botswana LTD, Botswana (Land/Real Estate Planner)