Urumqui Airport · China
08 · 2006
Extension of Urumqi International Airport, PR China
Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region is located on the northwest border of China, which adjoins eight countries. Urumqi International Airport situated 16.8 km to the northwest of Urumqi downtown, which is one of 11 airports which are administered by Xin Jiang Airport Group. Urumqi International Airport serves as hub in Western China (a large regional airport hub).
- To meet the functional requirements of a high-capacity regional hub
- Flexibility for future growth is taken into full consideration, so as to adopt to air transport expansion
- Compact layout with highly efficient passenger flows
- Energy sufficiency and low maintenance expenses
- Adopt prefabricated modular structures to optimize construction and lower construction costs
- Use of local materials
Design concept of overall plan
The basic parameters for the design are the existing aviation buildings and the significant idea of the linear Silk-Road-Axis/ Airport-Axis, which leads directly to the Terminal 3+4.
The aim and main idea is to combine the typical pattern of the linear Silk-Road / Airport-Axis with the technical necessities of the existing and future airport buildings.
The development and evolution of both - the linear landside structure and the Terminal-Gate-Hall will create a new significant Airport City (Airport-Bazaar) integrated in a perfect HUB.
The basic design criteria for the terminal hall include transparency, optimum indoor climatic conditions and favourable acoustics. Passengers can find all the facilities they require in the extensive light-flooded check-in hall. Functionality and aesthetics are combined to create a convincing synthesis through the clearly structured and transparent organisation of the space.
With this hall the airport gains a further central area, whose size and position on the central airport axis reflect its major importance. Passengers experience it as a generously sized, open, bright space encompassing many, very different functions.
Project facts and figures
- Location: Urumqi - the Capital City of Xin Jiang Autonomous Region, PR China
- Client: Xin Jiang Airport (Group) Co. Ltd., PR China
- Planning: K+P Architekten und Stadtplaner GmbH
- Building costs: approx. 220 Mio. Euro
- Gross floor area: approx. 160,000 sq m
- Design competition: 2006
- Result: 2nd prize